The tour that almost wasn't

I was very excited about joining the LA Conservancy. I had been thinking about doing some walking tours with them for a long time. I looked them up again with an idea of taking some of my students (who NEVER leave the Valley--and never get field trips) on a tour, and I was surprised that the cost for basic membership was so low. I joined right away and immediately signed up for my first walking tour--Art Deco.

But the night before the tour, as I feel asleep to the sound of rain, I thought, "Hmmm..." When I woke up the next morning to the sound of rain that hadn't paused in the night, I thought, "Really??" A period of hesitation, but then, "YES!" I was wide awake and I already had a ticket. What's a little rain to an adventure girl like me? My friend, Mitch, had just gifted me with a great umbrella the day before, so I was all set. Off I went to to the Red Line park and ride station at Universal and hopped a train downtown to Pershing Square. Easy breezy.

Even though the rain remained all but relentless for the whole day, I did NOT regret my decision!


I never bothered to check a train schedule before showing up at the Red Line (probably would have been a good idea), and it never occurred to me that I'd have to WAIT for a train. Uh-oh. I hate being late. Did I come out in the pouring rain for nothing? In the 24 minute ride from Universal to Pershing, I sent out one thought: "don't leave without me, don't leave without me." But all's well that ends well, and I managed to catch the group before they left the square. =) Gail, the docent, was gracious and welcoming.

It turned out that the rain was a great foil for looking at LA. Who knew? The city was beautiful, and I saw some amazing architecture and design--getting better acquainted with buildings I had noticed many times before and seeing some things I had never picked out of the smorgasbord that is L.A.


Remember when The Bonaventure was THE shot to set a film or TV show's locale as L.A.? I do. It seems so forgotten now, overshadowed, but even though I am almost surprised to see it reveal itself sometimes, it's still as cool to me as it ever was.


As much as I loved the Edison building, The Sun Realty, The Eastern, and the Jewelry Mart that used to be a Warner Brothers Theater, it was this building--The Oviatt--that really captured my imagination. We got to tour the penthouse, which was very cool and interesting, historically and design-wise. Amazing attention to detail.

The photos below are of the outdoor space (rooftop decks...ahh, friends, you know how much I ADORE rooftop decks!) that made me wish I was getting married!! If I were to ever get married, I would want to do it here! It is a perfect location for an L.A. girl like me.











Now I wish I had taken more pictures, but I think you get the idea. =)

I love my city!

-KM

Comments

Thanks so much for joining the Conservancy! We're thrilled to have you as a member. And we're so glad you braved the elements and had fun on the Art Deco tour. We greatly appreciate your support and hope to see you at another Conservancy event soon!
KAM said…
Oh, I hadn't seen this comment 'til now. I am so happy to be a Conservancy member. I'm having a tour this coming Sunday--my fifth event since joining. Love the Conservancy. I'll be a docent someday!

Popular posts from this blog

I HAVE VOTED =)

Kings Win!

Finally Fall