Reyner Banham Loves L.A.


Well...It was MLK weekend. We had a holiday from massage school, and I found myself with a free Saturday on my hands (no pun intended).

So I signed myself up for a unique So Cal adventure. Reyner Banham Loves LA: Route 66 Bus Tour. Here's why:

"We are pleased to offer several architecture and urbanism tours which stem from host Richard Schave's course of study with the British art historian Reyner Banham, author of the seminal monograph Los Angeles: A Study of Four Ecologies. Taking the essence of Reyner’s work--reverence, passion, and an eye to context--we tackle the development of Southern California as a built environment, looking at how the growing populations shaped the climate and ecologies, creating a unique sense of place which has captivated the world.

"In this third installment in our ongoing architecture series, we explore California's Mother Road and the building of its dream. The dream manifests at the turn of the 20th century as we explore how the climate was sold, the growth of the citrus industry and Tuberculosis hospitals. Then come the programmatic roadside architecture of the 1920s and 1930s and postwar V-8 visions fueled by gasoline and good climate (too bad you can't run an engine on it).

"The Reyner Banham tour series is dedicated to revealing greater L.A.'s infrastructure, history, the built and natural environment, transportation corridors, drive-ins, attractions and oddities.

"This tour will focus on the built environment along the Mother Road with an emphasis on old and historic alignments of Route 66 as well as signage" (http://www.esotouric.com/route66).

To me, this sounded very interesting. I was in! I wanted to take a closer look at some the things that were uniquely L.A. and some of the structures that give glimpses into the history and development of my city.

Also, I get so tired of people who do nothing but bitch and moan about LA--usually the same people, mind you, who have chosen to pick up and move here from wherever the heck they were cradled. To them I always want to say, and sometimes do: it IS a free country. Move away. PLEASE move away. For god's sake, move away! Then those of us who are from here and happy to live here can have more elbow room (and freeway room and reasonable housing prices)!

So I said, hey...I don't know who he is, but...Reyner Banham loves LA...I love LA. Let's do this!

And while I have to admit that the tour was not what I expected, and was sometimes convoluted and confusing, I am glad I went. I saw some things--impressive things-- I would never have seen, or paid attention to, on my own. The tour left me wanting more, and gave me enough information to know where to begin looking for answers to my questions.

Here's some of what we did:


We met up at Philippe's The Original in Downtown LA, near Union Station and Olvera Street. I learned that it is the home of the french Dip Sandwich and is 100 years old this year. Amazing! It's hard for restaurants to stay open for 1 year these days (and I suspect it's not a new phenomenon), so I am impressed with a place that has managed to do good business for 100 years. Cool. I didn't eat there though. Maybe soon. =)

It was funny, I love to take pictures of buildings and structures. I don't know if it was being on an architecture tour or simply not being behind the wheel of my car, but as soon as I got on the bus, I immediately started to notice the unique and interesting structures that were all around.
I've been a fan of Union Station for a long time, but near there is a magnificent Post Office building and another modern type building that houses...I forget what...but it's kind of cool.

Our first official stop on the tour was here. Covina Bowl. Apparently it was built (around 60 years ago) because of its proximity to Route 66, and because the owners had a vision that they could create and sustain a viable business in that location. It's been doing well ever since. I include here mostly because I like the picture. =)


This was a pre-civil war cemetery in Azuza. Very interesting to look at. It's located near the homes of the feuding Slauson Sisters, but no one seemed to know why they were feuding...all we know is "they hated each other." Yet, they built their houses practically next door to each other.



This was a cool little stop. It is an old gas station on Route 66 ( a small street now, not the part of it that now consists of wider roads). Obviously, the station isn't in use any more, except as a location for films and television. It's very cute!

Back to the start: Downtown LA as the sun begins to set. I love the rows of palm trees, and the view of City Hall (below).



I ended up buying Reyner Banham book, and I am reading it now. I also picked up a Guide to Los Angeles Architecture, a bookcalled Walking LA, and a card set of LA Walks which include interesting architecture and some cool, but little-noticed, spots around the city. I am looking forward to some free time to take advantage of (that is, visit and photograph) what I am learning.

--KM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I HAVE VOTED =)

Kings Win!

Finally Fall